Sunday 5 February 2012

A Book for Brides...

Whilst rummaging through one of the Lechlade antique stores last year I happened across a rather interesting book: “A Book for Brides”. Published in 1948 this little treasure seemed the perfect gift for my close friend and bride to be.


I love a vintage inspired wedding, (I’ve a particular fondness for 50s and 60s style dresses/fashion) but marriage today is rather different than it was back then.


Unfortunately I don’t have any quotes to hand. From recollection there was plenty of advice for impending matrimony. Ensuring that you always looked presentable for your husband, how to run a good household, how to present yourself on honeymoon… it also gave some words of wisdom on the emotional front.  


When I next see my friend I’ll get some quotes from the book but for now here are some genuine adverts à la 1948…..


Sorry about the cropped edge, the page seem made the scanning tricky

No comments:

Post a Comment